Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Catching Up With: Former Lehigh University All-American tight end Adam Bergen - Lehighvalleylive.com

Adam BergenFormer Lehigh All-American tight end Adam Bergen is a two-time UFL champion as a member of the Las Vegas Locomotives.
Adam Bergen admitted he’s preparing to end to his football career.

Due to uncertainties surrounding the money-strapped United Football League â€" where Bergen was a member of the Las Vegas franchise for the past three seasons â€" and a lack of interest to play in other leagues like the Canadian Football League, the 2005 Lehigh University graduate is preparing for a life beyond football.

“Honestly, I think that I’m done,” said Bergen, a two-time All-American tight end at Lehigh. “As of right now it’s hard to say because with the league you never know what’s going on. There’s always that uncertainty, but I’m trying not to get ahead of myself.”

So if this is the end, Bergen, who presently resides in Scottsdale, Ariz., seems destined for a 9-to-5 desk job. Right?

“I do look pretty good in a suit,” the 28-year-old said modestly. “I don’t know if I could sit behind a desk all day long, though. I’d have to be up and about.”

That’s exactly what he’s doing now.

Bergen, who signed with the Arizona Cardinals as an undrafted free agent in 2005 and spent two seasons with the organization before bouncing around the league as a practice squad member with the Cowboys, Ravens and Broncos, has been staying busy by installing a new roof on his house, increasing the amount of time he spends at the golf course and continues to be an avid gym go-er.

As it gets closer to football season â€" whether or not the UFL has a season (which runs in the fall) â€" Bergen will continue helping out with the Saguaro High School football team in town.

The air of uncertainty might be unsettling to some and exciting to others, but Bergen, who has unfortunately been in this boat before is staying calm and has realistic expectations.

“I’m going to figure something out,” he said. “I’ve been successful in what I’ve done so I don’t think that will change as long as I put my mind to it. Getting nervous and panicking about it isn’t going to help me in any way.

“I’m playing it by ear and letting things fall into place. Me panicking is going to make things worse. I’ve been through it before with the UFL and I’m kind of used to it. You’re more savvy in this process.”

Bergen, who registered 381 yards and two touchdowns on 43 receptions in 30 games (16 starts) with the Cardinals from 2005-06, has openly voiced his opinion on the lack of structure and success of the UFL on Twitter.

The league, which began in 2009, had just four franchises (Las Vegas, Sacramento, Virginia, Omaha) last season and was forced to shorten the regular season to four games, moving up the championship game to mid-October.

Bergen and the two-time champion Locomotives were in the title game for the third straight year, but fell short to Virginia on Oct. 21.

To add insult to injury, the players had to anxiously wait for their bonus money for reaching the final.

“It took six months to get everyone (fully) paid,” said Bergen, who admitted he received half of his bonus in November and the rest approximately three weeks ago. “I think that’s why a lot of guys are nervous about the league coming back for 2012.

“There’s no commissioner as of this moment and we didn’t have a TV contract last year that hurt the league, so a lot of guys are trying to look at other options.”

Bergen, again, not one to panic or worry, is taking things day by day and enjoying the warm Arizona climate with an increased dose of golf.

“I live probably 100 yards from a local course so I try to get out once a week,” he said. “I’m getting better. I’m probably right around an 18-handicap. My goal in the next couple of years is to get to a single-digit handicap.

“I figure it’s not the worst goal to have.”

"Catching Up With" is an online feature that runs Sundays on lehighvalleylive.com. The subjects are former local high school or collegiate athletes who no longer live in the region. If you have an idea about an athlete you would like to see profiled, send an e-mail to kgary@express-times.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment