Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Advocates Help Crime Victims Through System - KLAS-TV

LAS VEGAS -- Victims of heinous crimes often feel they have nowhere to turn. What they should know is that there are special advocates within each local police department to hold their hand and walk them through the legal process.

The Henderson Police Department has three women who manage dozens of cases through settlement or conviction. Most people don't even know this softer side of police work exists.

"My first question to them is, 'Are you safe?' said victim advocate Susie Lewis who will  then discuss safety planning and crisis intervention with the victim.

Eight voice mails from recent victims greet Lewis when she walks into her office at the Henderson Police station Monday morning. She had 32 new cases last month and she takes walk-ins.

"I'll have women that will come in and they're hysterical and it'll take me 10 minutes just to get them calmed down to figure out what's going on," she said.

Lewis is a 12-year victim advocate who counsels victims of sexual abuse, child abuse, kidnapping, attempted murder, stalking and assault.

"They've already been traumatized by a crime and they're there to help them walk through it and go through the process and make sure they get all the rights afforded to them," said Sgt. Christopher Delacanal with the Henderson Police Department.

The advocate will often start with finding the victim a safe place to stay, then get witness statements, and even help filing a protection order. Advocates often offer a soft shoulder to cry on.

"I do a lot of hand-holding. I have some victims I talk to every single day. I have some victims I talk to once or twice a month," Lewis said.

She says most victims are shocked to learn how long the judicial process takes. She goes to every hearing, including the trial and sentencing, with them. She wants to ensure that victims know they're supported.

"I had a woman come back in my office and she said, 'do you remember me?' and I said yes, how are you doing? she said, 'Susie, I am doing so good, I just can't thank you enough, I never would've gotten this far without you.' This is why you do it."

VINE or Victim Information and Notification Everyday is offering victims the opportunity to sign up and be notified when there are changes with their offender's status. It's a free service. You can call 1-888-2NV-VINE or go to www.vinelink.com for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment